Gambit



Name: Gambit

Publisher: MindWare Publishing

Players: 2

Ages: 8+

Playing Time: 15-30 Minutes

If you’re looking for an interactive game that is mentally stimulating and strategically challenging, then Gambit would be be a great choice for you. It doesn’t take long to learn and play, but it takes a lot of time and thought to become really good! This colorful, tiled board game has brought me hours of thought-provoking fun!

My husband and I were on a routine trip to our local Goodwill two weeks ago when Bryant spotted Gambit among the various used games that were for sale. As is the custom, he read the entire rule booklet before even considering a purchase. Still uncertain about whether the game’s strategy was sound, we decided to play it before spending a hard-earned $2.99 on the game.

So there we were, in the middle of Goodwill, quietly pulling together some random chairs from the furniture department and setting up a little game station as out-of-the-way as possible. It was quite invigorating since I have never done such a thing in a Goodwill! As we sat down to begin
our endeavor, I wasn’t sure what to expect from Gambit. I liked the rainbow colored tiles (I’m a huge fan of color) and I loved the simple concept of the game that seemed suitable to even the youngest of ages.

The game was not a disappointment. Despite its simple concept, it contained quite a bit of strategy. Planning ahead was necessary, although these plans had to be able to change in a second if the opponent caught on! Strategy was a combination of positioning oneself in the best places while still foiling the other player in their plans. As I played the game, I realized I was having a lot of fun--more than usual! It was right then and there that we decided Gambit was worth it. Shortly after the “the store will be closing in 15 minutes" announcement, Bryant and I concluded our game and headed to the checkout. It was a three dollars well spent.

We brought Gambit to our monthly game club, The Albany Gamers, where it was also thoroughly enjoyed by all who played it. People were asking “where can I find this?" and commenting “I’d really like to own this game!" I would definitely recommend Gambit if you are looking for a brain-stimulating game that forces you to think! I think I’ve become smarter just by playing it!